Dartford is the principal town in the Borough of Dartford, Kent, England. It is located 18 miles south-east of Central London, and is situated adjacent to the London Borough of Bexley to its west. To its north, across the Thames estuary, is Thurrock in Essex, which can be reached via the Dartford Crossing and the Dartford Tunnel.
The town centre lies in a valley through which the River Darent flows, and where the old road from London to Dover crossed: hence the name, from Darent + ford. Dartford became a market town in medieval times and, although today it is principally a commuter town for Greater London, it has a long history of religious, industrial and cultural importance. It is an important rail hub; the main through-road now by-passes the town itself.
Public Transport across Kent is de-regulated, which means individual bus operators are free to set up and run their own services.
Kent County Council has responsibility for promoting public transport use, co-ordinating services, and encouraging the growth of services in areas that are under-represented.
Most services in Dartford are provided by the Arriva Bus Company, though some services which travel through Dartford, but which start or end in London, are provided by Transport for London.
Dartford is currently served by several train stations:
· Dartford train station is a five minute walk from Dartford town centre. Trains run to Dartford from London Charing Cross, London Canon Street, Waterloo East, London Bridge and London Victoria. The North Kent Line also runs from Dartford to the Medway towns and the Kent coast.
· Stone Crossing train station serves the communities of Stone and Crossways business park. It is on the North Kent Line.
· Greenhithe train station serves the communities of Greenhithe and Bluewater shopping and leisure complex. It is on the North Kent Line. A Railbus runs from Greenhithe station to Bluewater.
· Swanscombe train station is on the North Kent Line.
· Farningham Road train station is on the London Victoria line and trains also run to the Medway towns and the Kent Coast.
· Longfield train station is on the London Victoria line and trains also run to the Medway towns and the Kent Coast.
Fastrack is the new part of the public transport system in Kent Thameside that will make a real difference.
Positioned in the hierarchy of public transport between the railway service and current bus services, Fastrack will ultimately connect nearly all of the major existing and new developments in Dartford and Gravesham with core express routes on which only Fastrack services will be allowed to run.
Alongside enhanced bus services, Fastrack will provide the frequent, reliable high quality service that will ensure people can 'get around' - to work, to school, to play - even to London and the continent!
Flexibility is a watchword for Fastrack. An area facing such growth across a relatively large area and long period demands a transport system that can grow with time.
As a bus-based system Fastrack has that flexibility built in, yet at the same time offers the reliability and attractiveness of a modern tram.
It is a card that works with a prepaid method; you put a certain amount of money and it is discounted as you move through the city. The price is quite reduced.
There are 2 types of Oyster: If you acquire the card in Dartford, you will get a normal Oyster Card (it is blue). If on the other hand you buy it online or at the airport, you will get a Visitors Oyster Card (it's colored and it says "visitor"). The Oyster for visitors has a non-refundable 3-pound activation price. In contrast, the normal Oyster, has a price of 5 pounds as a deposit and is fully refundable, so at the end of your trip you can recover £5.
It serves to move around public transport in an unlimited way. There are valid Travelcards for a day, a week, a month and a year. It is a good option if you are going to leave zone 2 every day (something very rare among tourists). Based on our experience, we believe that the Oyster Card is cheaper and is the method we use to move around London.
Miguel Ona Bosque
Maria Angeles Canete
Eva Maria Gonzalez